Tim Earley - Recently got back into model making after a 30 year (or more) gap. Then it was 1/32 WW2 figures, Napoleonic kits and the odd aircraft. Now I concentrate on WW2 aircraft, plus some military vehicles and figures to use in dioramas, mainly in 1/48 scale but like the idea of doing some larger 1/32 aircraft kits and 1/35 scale tank kits as well for a bit of variety.
Messerschmitt Bf 110 G4, 1/48 Eduard Profi kit.
Plenty to go at with this model, especially with the photo-etch parts provided with the kit. It was a joy to put together as there were no real fit issues except for the nose canopy, perhaps, but it wasn't a huge issue. (Maybe I should have left it off to show the guns anyway). A little bit of filler was used on the wing roots but that was it. And the canopy, with the etching parts, went together very nicely. The dappling part of the cameo scheme took some doing and I went at it fairly slowly for fear of mucking it up altogether - constantly checking the airbrush before pointing it towards the plane. The decals are custom ones to match the pilots serial codes (Ofw Heinz Vinke, a night fighter) and were made for me. Nearing the end of the build I then decided to opt for a diorama setting to help set it off.
Messerschmitt Bf 110 G4
LCM 3 Vehicle Landing Craft and Tamiya US M4A1 Sherman. Hobby Boss, 1/48 scale.
LCM 3 Royal Navy version landing craft with the noticeably difference of invariably not having the two .50-cal M2 Browning machine guns that the US version had. The Sherman is a Tamiya kit which went together very nicely; with the advantage of some decent tracks and not the rubber ones which I don't really like. There's a bit to finish on it, including fixing on the M2 heavy machine gun to the turret but it helps set the LCM off a bit.
An out of the box build with no after market additions. This was a first attempt at a Japanese plane as well as a first go at the hairspray method for weathering the warbird. The build was fun but there was a marked step up in the process when I moved on to the hairspray method. There was a tendency for the paint to crinkle when applying over the hairspray which I eventually overcame but not without some perseverance. It was a fun build and I learnt a bit more on the way.
British light utility car – RAF version. Tamiya , 1/48 scale.
Out of the box build. After some research I decided to paint the vehicle khaki brown as it appeared that not all trucks were necessarily painted a medium blue, as indicated on the Tamiya instructions, for airfield use and were pressed into service as they were and with what paints were available to airbases and units at the time. That's my excuse, anyway.